Cappoquin, Lismore and Villierstown Community Hub
Waterford Sports Partnership were successful in applying for funding from Dormant Accounts through Sport Ireland to set up a Community Sports Hub in the Cappoquin, Lismore, Villierstown area. A Community Sports Hub is a collective of organisations and individuals that want to work together to improve the sporting and physical activity opportunities in their community.
The core objective of the Community Sports Hub is to grow participation, engage the local community, promote community leadership, offer a range of sporting opportunities, promote awareness of sporting opportunities and bring all key partners/groups/people together within the three specified areas.
We have established strong links with a range of community groups, clubs and agencies for target groups including women, men, older adults, disability and schools within these three communities. This project offers a real chance to make a sustained impact on the physical activity opportunities for people of all ages in West Waterford.
In advance of the funding application, WSP carried out a needs analysis with representatives from the three areas in late 2018 assessing:
- Current Physical Activity and Sport Opportunities
- Current Education and Training Opportunities
- Key Organisations in the area
- Potential opportunities for linkage
- Local Facilities and Infrastructure that support participation
- We considered how access and usage of local facilities and infrastructure could be increased.
In the coming months we will engage with the local communities to achieve the following:
- Establish a database of physical activities that are currently on offer in the local communities
- Engage with local stakeholders and form a steering group to shape the rural hub project
- Look at strengthening existing clubs and communities and identify any gaps to increase physical activity opportunities
- Undertake a more detailed needs analysis with the local communities
Waterford Sports Partnership will, with the support of the community, address the gaps and priorities identified by the community through physical activity programmes and initiatives in the Rural Hub area in 2020. We are looking forward to hosting an Operation Transformation event in the community on Saturday 18th January and look forward to seeing the local community support this event.
Please see details below!
Community Sports Development Officer Liz McEnaney is leading this project on a part time basis.
For further information or if you have any questions in relation to the Rural Sports Hub please contact:
Liz McEnaney on 086 783 7385 0r email firstname.lastname@example.org
Article Modified: March 22, 2023 8:38 am