Walk Your Way To A Healthier Lifestyle!
Walking is one of the easiest ways to be more physically active and plays a significant role in reducing the risk of heart disease. Walking is a great way to burn calories, tone arms and leg, but most importantly it is a form of exercise which requires no equipment, is accessible to everyone and is free. It is perfect for achieving and maintaining a healthier heart and a happier you. All you need is a good pair of shoes, comfortable clothing and desire!
If you can only walk for a couple of minutes and then you need to rest that’s OK. Where you start from isn’t important – it’s where you’re going that counts!
Try to walk on most days of the week – start with a 10-minute walk and gradually increase the time spent walking. Don’t overdo it on the first attempt. If very unfit start by walking every other day. Build it up bit-by-bit and set realistic goals.
To obtain health benefits a 30-minute walk daily is all that is needed. This can be broken down into 3 sessions of 10 minutes – that’s just as good.
How to fit 30 minutes walking into a busy day!
– Think before you drive less than a mile – walk to the local shop or post box
– Get off the bus a stop earlier
– Park the car further away from the supermarket
– Walk the children to school – walk at a fairly fast pace once you are on your own on the way back
– Take the stairs instead of the lift
– Go on foot. If you normally drive to see a friend who lives nearby, walk instead
– Enjoy a walking lunch – walk to the park and eat your sandwiches
– Walk to the shops the long way
– Throw away the remote control!
For more information on walking opportunities please Liz McEnaney
on 087 739 6050 or email email@example.com
Article Modified: August 29, 2023 2:43 pm