The GP Exercise Referral programme is a joint venture between GP’s and local leisure centres which is being funded by Go Dungarvan and the HSE and co-ordinated by Waterford Sports Partnership.
The aim of the programme is to improve the participants health and well-being through a safe and structured physical activity programme which is designed specifically to the individual’s needs. The scheme is a twelve week intervention and will be available to Dungarvan residents in March 2013 through the following GP Surgeries: High Street Medical Centre, Strandside Medical Centre, Shandon Medical Centre and Dr James Stacey, Abbeyside.
The GP Exercise Referral Programme involves doctors referring patients aged 18 and over, who they feel will benefit from increased exercise, to one of the two accredited leisure centres in Dungarvan for a three month one to one customised exercise programme. We are fortunate that Clonea Strand Leisure Centre & the Park Hotel Leisure Centre have received training from the HSE (Health Service Executive)/ILAM(Institute of Leisure Management) to deliver the programme and are now fully accredited.
HOW CAN YOU GET INVOLVED?
- Visit your GP and ask about your suitabiity for the GP Referral Programme.
- Your GP fills in the referral form.
- You sign the form with your GP.
- You then arrange to meet one of the local co-ordinators at the Park Hotel
- (Claire Kennedy T. 058 42902) or Clonea Leisure Centre (Joe Veale T. 058 45555).
- At your first appointment, which is FREE you will have the opportunity to discuss the type of activities you would like to do, talk about any concerns you may have and get tips to help motivate you to start becoming more active.
- You will be shown around the facility and the local co-ordinator will provide you with your individual 3 month exercise programme for you to follow. It is recommended
- that you meet the co-ordinator each month to review your exercise programme.
- On your first visit you will also receive a Go Dungarvan welcome pack which will include a welcome letter, step counter, step log, Go Dungarvan local map, Go Smart Newsletter, WSP newsletter and more….
- On week four and eight, visit your leisure centre coordinator for a one-to-one update meeting regarding your progress. This will allow you to adapt your exercise programme accordingly. Cost €15.
- Upon completion of the 12 week programme, visit your GP for an evaluation
If you require any further information please contact Peter Jones,
Dr. Tom Nyhan: 058-41162/41063
Dr. Isobel Brennock: 058-41162/41063
Dr. Maurice O’Sullivan: 058-41162/41063
Dr. James Stacey: 058-41106
Dr. Richard Brady: 058-41262
Dr. Thomas Higgins: 058-42162
Dr. Grainne Ni Fhoghlú: 058-42162
Dr. David Mahony: 058-42210
Dr. David Joyce: 058-42210
Dr. Lily Delaney: 058-42210
Article Modified: December 14, 2018 11:43 am